My guest this week is Emily Taylor, whose upcoming new release, A Soul To Take, has been (irresistibly to me!) described as steampunk urban fantasy. Emily joins us to answer questions about herself and her writing, and also to offer TWO advance copies of her book as contest prizes. To enter, see the Lie-dars below and good luck.
- Star Wars, Star Trek, or Firefly? Firefly all the way. It’s still a raw wound, maybe because I only just recently watched the show and movie… again. T.T
- Who would play you in the movie? I have no idea. Maybe Abigail Breslin in a year or two?
- What is the one thing you can’t live without? Music.
- As a child (or now!), what did you want to be when you grew up? A witch. Don’t ask.
- Are the names of the characters in your novels significant? Not really. I choose names I think suits them, and sometimes they have hidden meanings, which is cool, and sometimes I just make them up!
- What is the single biggest challenge of creating the settings in your novels? Settings as in environment/world? Well, for A Soul to Take it was interesting. We were wondering, should we push ‘steampunk’ or urban paranormal? We kind of ended up with this fusion of the modern world with advance technology, but with old style hierarchy, architecture and fashion.
Dying is the least of Elixia’s worries.
The world has changed. Demons are no longer legend, but part of life, integrated into our society . . . or so the Government claims. Things are never that simple, though, and neither side favors the new union. Agent Elixia Albelin knows the dark nature of demons firsthand, and will do everything in her power to protect the innocent from their wrath.
But when a mission from the Agency goes sour, Elixia finds herself in a predicament. Murdered, with her last living family-member kidnapped, her only hope is an offer from the very thing she despises: a demon. It’s no ordinary demon offering the contract, though, and his motive for such a deal is unclear. But if she’s to discover the truth and save her sister, she must commit the greatest taboo for an Agent: Sell her soul.
Now, Marked and shackled to the terms of the contract, she must try to uncover the mystery of her sister’s abduction before her new “owner” comes to claim what is his. Her past may hold answers, but what happens when her investigation finds something far more sinister? Something not even the demons can condone?
- Book Title: A Soul to Take (Soul Stealers Book 1)
- Author: Emily Taylor
- Genre: New Adult Steampunk Urban Fantasy
Length: 245 pages
Release Date: REUTS Publications (September 23, 2014)
- Purchase Links: Amazon (pre-release)
About the Author
LIE-DAR CONTEST #1!
For this week’s contest, I asked Emily to tell us if she was in the Miss Australia talent competition, what would her talent be? Please enter your guess in comments below for a chance to win a free copy of A Soul to Take. (Winners will be announced next Thursday, September 18th.)
Bonus! LIE-DAR CONTEST #2!
For another chance to win a copy of A Soul to Take, I asked Emily to tell me where she would go on her ultimate vacation. Please enter your guess in comments below, and whoever guesses closest to what Emily picked will win a copy of A Soul to Take. (Winners will be announced next Thursday, September 18th.)
WHAT IS YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM VACATION?